"...because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles..."

Saturday, July 2, 2011

In transit, en route

It has been over a month since I last blogged. Another hiatus from the world of writing- unintentional I assure you. It has been a whirlwind month to say the least, and yet, it will soon be winding down into the grind of life. Which, to be honest, is really the essence of life. Special events and occasional bouts of adventure do not make up the true substance of our daily lives. That is where the details, the small little whispers of each of the 24 hours that our days exist in, become the adventure in and of itself.

So, I find myself about 2000 miles from home, if I can really call New York home, surrounded by sand. But, waking up to the mountains every day isn't something I can complain about. It's been the last two months of nothing but inspiration to be honest, and here I find myself with very little to write about. Shouldn't it be pouring out of me? I'm in love, I'm on an adventure, I'm in my own apartment for the first time, I'm in the beginning of something entirely new. But, sitting in the still my mind is truly overwhelmed with all of the elements that go into such a transition as this. As I observe my new apartment, I see the first place that I've been on my own that I can say I will be indefinitely. I see the one closest to me, and I see the first person I know will be in my life indefinitely. I see the classes I'm taking next year and I see the career I'm going to be in indefinitely. Life has taken a strange turn for me... unsettled, runner, adventurer, independent... and here I am, loving looking at the future and knowing that at least for a little while, I have some time to breathe. Time to breathe and learn how to live day to day, instead of running town to town. Time to learn how to love every day, instead of running from the love I have. Time to build from the ground up, put my time in, and make my dreams happen.

Today, I watched a storm roll in over the desert in Arizona. It poured over the mountains and I stood outside with my arms outstretched like one of the ancient cacti next to me. The sand hit the back of my legs and my hair whipped around my face while I laughed and looked into the eyes of my partner in crime. Our adventure here may some days consist of making dinner after work, running errands, or cleaning up my apartment. But, the essence of adventure has a hold of us, transition and all. It is storms in the desert, road trips across the country, and weekends in the wild west that will sustain us and give us life for the monotonous, remind us of the extraordinary. And, they will provide the words to inspire a new blog.

1 comment: